Tuesday, December 22, 2015

My best Christmas present ever!

Last March, just before we visited Rome, I noticed that the vision in my left eye had deteriorated so I popped into our optician who took a look and suggested I visit my doctor. The doctor conducted his eye test by asking me how many fingers he was holding up just to make sure I wasn't totally blind. However, he referred me to the local hospital which I visited in June and they confirmed I had a cataract and I was put on the waiting list.


A month ago I was given the choice of having the operation carried out at our local hospital sometime next summer or at a hospital in Zaragoza in around 1 month.


The Hospital Nuestra Señora de Gracia is like no other hospital I have ever seen. It is in the very heart of Zaragoza and resembles a Parador, the exclusive state run hotels, rather than a normal hospital.


The staff are very friendly and efficient and are certainly not stressed or harassed as you often find in ordinary hospitals.


The operation yesterday morning went very smoothly and I had a checkup this morning just to make sure everything was OK. The procedure involved replacing the lens so when everything settles down I shall have virtually perfect sight in my left eye.


However, I was told that within 6 weeks I am due to have the same operation on my right eye so that I won't need to wear spectacles for the first time for 55 years. Now that is a great Christmas present! I give all the doctors, nurses and staff at the hospital my most grateful thanks, every Christmas blessing and wish them continued success in the future with the wonderful work they are performing.


The photo above is of the inside of the Parroquia de Santiago el Mayor and the 2 above that are of the Christmas Crib on display. The first 3 photos are of the hospital.


We stayed at the Hotel Melía Zaragoza just around the corner from the hospital for the 2 nights. Can't wait to return in a few weeks time!

No comments: